Office party season can make or break your career. Work the event to your advantage by following these quick and easy do’s and don’ts.
- Do go along, even if it’s for a token 30 minutes. No-one likes no-shows.
- Don’t be fooled that an office party is not work. Your behaviour will be judged for good or bad.
- Do decide what you want to achieve from the evening. Do you want to let down your hair or network with the right people?
- Don’t go too far. Be mindful of what you drink, and be careful what you say to whom.
- Do wear appropriate clothes. Your normal party clothes may reveal too much about you!
- Don’t take drugs or be enticed into any other illegal activity. Ever. You can lose your job.
- Do say thanks to the organisers. These events are normally organised by volunteers and will appreciate the recognition.
- Don’t be the office bore. Despite all the constraints and pitfalls, it is still a party, so lighten up and have some fun.
- Do follow up any new contacts. Remember – it’s notwhat you know, it’s who you know!
Office party etiquette is easy when you know how. Let other people play the joker while you make the most of the occasion!